Winchester Town Info
The town of Winchester was settled by Charlestown citizens in the 1630’s, and the land on which it sits was purchased from Native Americans. It was informally known as Waterfield which was a reference to the many ponds and the river in the central village. Until the middle of the 19th century, parts of Arlington, Cambridge, Woburn, and Medford compromised what is now Winchester. What makes Winchester so appealing is that this beautiful, small suburban town is located only 8 miles from downtown Boston.
Winchester is a great location for commuting in and out of the city. There are two MBTA commuter rail stops, Winchester Center and Wedgemere which takes you right into North Station. The community borders Arlington, Lexington, Woburn, Medford, and Stoneham and is located on the famous Mystic Lake. The lake makes it a great place for boat lovers and country club members. This convenient location is near the Burlington Mall for upscale shopping and has great access to three major highways, Route 93, Route 128 and Route 2.
Winchester Quick Facts
- Winchester Population: 21,676
- Square Miles: 6.04
- Distance from Boston: 8 miles
- 2016 Sales – Single Family: 240
- 2016 Sales – Condo: 86
- 2016 Average Home Price: Single Family $1,079,413
- 2016 Average Condo Price: $506,272
- 2016 Median Income, with children: $205,000
- 2016 Property Tax Rate Per $1,000: $11.68
- High School Average SAT Scores: 1,763
Places to see/Things to do
- Mystic Lake is filled with many outdoor activities including boating, biking, jogging, ice skating, cross-country skiing and so much more.
- The Winchester Boat Club is a private club, locate on the upper shore of Mystic Lake and was founded in 1900. Members often partake in sailing, swimming and other recreational activities.
- The Winchester Country Club features a luxurious 18-hole golf course for members
- Griffin Museum of Photography is a non-profit public charity organization dedicated to the art of photography, it features exhibits from well-known photographers to those just emerging on the scene.
- Wright Locke Farm is 378 years old and is a fun place for all ages. It is an organic farm that offers organic produce, local farm products, volunteer opportunities, educational programs for all, and special events.
- Next Door Theater is a non-profit organization that provides the opportunity for outside groups to take advantage of their performance space which is used for performance art, staged readings, fundraisers, corporate events, lectures, demonstrations, civic events and social functions
- A Tavola – 34 Church Street (Google Rating: 4.2)
- China Sky– 27 Converse Place (Google Rating: 4.1)
- La Patisserie– 30 Church Street (Google Rating: 4.1)
- Toscano’s – 740 Main Street (Google Rating: 4.0)
- Café Piazza Dolce – 831 Main Street (Google Rating 4.0)
- Joe’s Main Street Pizza – 612 Main Street (Google Rating: 4.0)
- Sakura – 910 Main Street (Google Rating 3.9)
- Black Horse Tavern – 32 Waterfield Road (Google Rating: 3.7)
- Lucia Ristorante – 13 Mount Vernon Street (Google Rating: 3.2)